Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Most Favourite Primer EVER!

I don't know what it is about this particular beauty product that has always interested me but even before I became a makeup artist I was on the hunt for a great primer.  Now it seems like EVERY brand of makeup has their own primer but I remember when I was first looking the mention of the product to sales girls often got me confused looks.

Over the years I have tried MANY primers...some I've liked, some not so much...but never one that I absolutely loved (kind of like my dating life lol)!  But NOW I've found my one true love (we're still talking about Primers btw...not relationships...I'm still working on that one ;) ) - Arbonne Makeup Primer!

I actually tried this primer about a yr ago...and even wrote about it on this blog.  I got a sample and I loved it then but I didn't go and buy it for myself..not sure why.  Fast forward a year, I've now taken the plunge and I'm sorry I waited so long!

For any makeup newbies or novices who are asking - What's a primer and why do I need it?

Basically, it's a product you put on before your foundation (you can wear it alone w/out foundation too btw).  It's like when you paint a wall in your house you always prime it first...primer for the face is the same kind of idea.  A good primer sort of diffuses and diminishes fine lines and pores....it just smooths out the surface of your face so that foundation lays nicer and you'll use less of it.  It also creates a barrier between your skin and your foundation and personally I find foundation lasts longer w/ it.

So what is it about this particular primer you ask?  Well first off you only need a small amount to do the entire face b/c the product is that concentrated...so yes, it might be on a little bit of the pricier side (equivalent to Smashbox Primer) but it will last you a long time so it's worth it IMO...plus remember since you're using a primer you'll need less foundation...therefore saving money there too ;).  This primer just leaves the skin feeling so smooth and silky and it really does do what it says - diminishes the appearance of fine lines and pores.

 Also in the past I've found w/ some popular primers (Smashbox I'm looking at you) they've been a bit heavy and sometimes depending on the client's skin when I've gone to put foundation over top the primer has sort of balled up or rolled off...NOT GOOD!  I've yet to experience this w/ the Arbonne Primer.  I should mention I'm not alone in calling this The Best Primer...even the readers at TotalBeauty.com agree - it was voted #1 (beating out big brands like MUFE, Smashbox & MAC) w/ an average reader rating of 9.9!

Other reasons I'm a big fan of this Primer...and other products from Arbonne:


  • Hypoallergenic
  • Dermatologist Tested
  • PH Correct
  • Vegan Certified, Peta-Approved
  • No Parabens, Phthalates, Artificial Dyes, Fragrance, Mineral Oil or Formaldehyde-donating Preservatives
  • A lot of their products are also Gluten Free which is becoming an important thing for a lot of ppl too
  • They also have a really strong Green Commitment - responsible harvesting, don't use endangered ingredients, print w/ soy based inks when possible, recyclable packaging or packaging made from recyclable materials


So overall just a very responsible and socially conscientious brand which is cool.  Their products are available online and they have literally hundreds of other great products available.  Plus a lot of really cool deals, discounts (20% off all orders) and free products if you sign up as a Preferred Client (which is open to anyone...not just Pros..but it does have a joining fee just an FYI..but still a good investment if you plan on buying a few things).

Oh one last thing...if you don't like anything you buy w/ Arbonne you have 45 days to return it!  Yes, that's right they are so confident in their products that you have a 45 day money back guarantee...that's pretty sweet!

One thing is for sure I'm definitely going to have 2 of these Primers - 1 for Myself & 1 for my Kit b/c I'll be honest I don't want to share it w/ anyone ;)

For anyone interested here's a link to buy it!

2 comments:

Susan said...

thank you for this recommendation! i definietely am going to try it out!! would you recommend this for bridal on clients with oily/combo skin and dry skin to last all day?

Jessica Jean Myers - Makeup Artist said...

I really think it can work on any skin type. For oily/combination it will definitely help mattify & it will work well on dry skin too!